Monday, May 4, 2015

Textile Paper Tutorial

AKA Fabric Paper


One of my favorite mediums that I love to work with is textile paper.  It's so versatile that it can be painted, embroidered, collaged, ext. I can also take this paper to my sewing machine and sew right on it without tearing the paper.  The possibilities are endless!  The only drawback to textile paper is the drying time.  The process of creating textile paper takes a couple of days to prepare so make sure that you allow for that time.  Let's start gluing!


Trash Bag Taped to Table


When working with textile paper, it gets really messy.  Your workspace should be covered with a protective layer of some sort, whether its a garbage bag or my favorite, wax paper.  I really like working with wax paper because it keeps the fabric in place when it's wet.  I had to opt for the good ole garbage bag because I realized when getting my supplies together that I ran out. Bummer!  No worries though because taping my garbage bag to the table will work just fine.


Cutting Citra-Solv Paper into Strips


Before I can do anything, I have to get my paper together that I am going to apply to the fabric. Normally I use tissue paper, in which I tear it, and layer it onto the fabric. Since I had more than half of a National Geographic magazine left from the Citra-Solve post, I decided to go that route.  With that decision made, I cut my pages into one inch strips.  Now that all the strips are cut, it's time to prepare the fabric.


Materials Needed for Textile Paper


For the textile paper, you will need muslin in any color.  It normally comes in white or natural, so either one is fine.  The glue I like to use is Tacky Glue, but I also have a small bottle of ModPodge sealant for a backup glue just in case I run out.  I find that foam brushes work the best in applying the glue because they won't leave streaks.  Lastly, I have a designated plastic bowl with a lid to keep my glue mixture in.  The lid is useful for when I have leftover glue.  I can put the lid on and save it for the next time around.  Otherwise the glue will dry out, and sadly it will be wasted.


Glue Added to Container

Pour the glue into the plastic container.  A large amount should be added to make enough to cover this very large piece. Stopping and making more glue solution while you're working is such a hassle. That's why a large amount is needed at the beginning.  If you make too much, put the lid on the container, and save for a later date.  Now it's time to add the water.  Normally I take my container to the sink to fill it up, but for this tutorial I thought a measuring cup was in order. I filled the cup full to equal two cups of water.  Not all of the water will be used, but it's nice to have extra just in case.


Water Added to the Glue


Once all the glue is in the container, pour the water in.  I used about a cup and a half.  Normally I'm not this precise, but I wanted my instructions to be crystal clear.  It's really your preference on how runny or thick you want your glue mixture. I find it to easier to spread if it's on the runny side.  It's not a complete science. Just do what you feel is right for your project.  Now it's time to mix!


Muslin Placed into Glue Mixture


Once the glue mixture is combined, place the muslin in the bowl.  Saturate the muslin so that it is drenched in the glue mixture.  Ring out the excess and place on the table.


Muslin Laid Flat onto Workspace


Pull the muslin apart and lay flat on the table.  Now we are ready to create!


Adding Glue to Strips

Dip the foam brush into the glue mixture.  Then sweep the glue across the back of the paper. Place the paper where you want to begin.  Then go over the top of the paper with more glue. This helps to seal the paper down to the fabric and get rid of any bubbles or gaps.  


Starting Background Design


Repeat process until the muslin is covered and you are satisfied with the design.  If you don't like where your design is going, it can be changed.  Carefully pull the paper up so that it won't tear and place the paper where you want it to go. Nothing is set in stone unless it's dry.  Make changes if needed and then let dry.



Textile Paper Complete!


Textile paper is an awesome medium that I have placed at the top of my arsenal of art techniques.  What medium do you put at the top of your list?  Why does it speak so strongly to you?  I would love to hear from you.  Check back later to find out what is in store for this amazing background. 








No comments:

Post a Comment