Thursday, May 14, 2015

Owl Be Seeing You In My Art Journal

Lately I have seen a lot of images of owls on my Pinterest feed. This inspired me to get out my art journal and do a little drawing. I love photography that depicts animals with their babies.  You know your a mom when you become a sucker for those kind of images.  Plus I have a complete obsession for owls and birds, hence the name Feathers UNLEASHED.

With this drawing I decided to use graphite pencil since pen didn't work so well on the acrylic.  I love creating texture in different ways, so I applied a little shading along with the repitition of various lines. I also wanted to leave some of the texture from the acrylic, so I left some areas without graphite. The baby owls were created much darker because they were layered behind the mother owl.  She covers her little ones with her wings in protection, the little ones are playing peekaboo.  My kids loved that game, so why wouldn't owlets love it to!

Owls Completed


After completing this drawing, I took several photographs of my work in detail.  I really love the close ups.  They inspire me to take these drawings further to create multiple images on a larger scale.


Mother Owl Closeup

I feel that this closeup with the owlets would be great with a circular frame.  I really love how the blue acrylic paint helped to create the mother's tale beautifully.  Isn't it funny how things work out that way. "Happy Accidents" are what use Art Educators call them.  

Owlets Closeup


As I continue my journey into my art journal, I hope you will continue to follow my progress.  This process continues to make feel completely inspired.  I hope you will get out there and find your creative inspiration.





No comments:

Post a Comment