Saturday, May 16, 2015

Prickly Pete

Where'd You Get That Cactus?!


In my last post about the owls I drew, I mentioned that this detail might look good in a circular frame. As I was uploading it to Instagram, I thought I was looking at a cactus.  I'm not sure if it was the repetitive lines or the shape, but I really sensed a cactus was in the midst. 


Owl Closeup Detail


This lead to a new idea to add to my art journal, so I got it out. Before I began to draw, I pulled up a cactus image on Google, so that I might get the correct texture. I decided to use graphite pencil again and began drawing the main body of the cactus in the right hand corner. I made this decision based on the big blue blotch made by the brayer running over the paint. The next step was to draw the right arm.  When adding these extremities, I placed them where I felt the paper spoke to me.  I know this sounds crazy, but the visual texture lead me to the placement of each part. The left arm was the last of the cactus to be added.  When I was finished with the cactus, I didn't feel quite done. Like there was something missing, so I added the bird at the last minute.  You know how it is always said, "Just stick a bird on it," well that's exactly what I did because the arm felt very perch-like.



Complete Drawing


Right Arm Detail



Main Body of the Cactus


Main Body Detail Closeup


Left Arm Closeup






No comments:

Post a Comment