Monday, April 20, 2015

Seven Day Sewing Challenge is FINISHED!

Holy HEMLINE, Batman!


I have been sewing like a mad lady these past seven days. Phew! I'm glad the madness is over.  Since my last post I have finished all of the hems on seven out of the eight kimonos.  The last Kimono was fully lined, so it took a little bit longer to finish. To me hemming is probably one of the easiest parts about sewing. You just fold and pen your fabric, press, and sew a straight line until the fabric ends.  I always press my fabric first before I sew to ensure it doesn't crawl around under the presser foot. This leads to a straighter stitch.  Now on to an example of how I put together a hem.

Fold right side of the fabric in and pin. I used a seam gauge to help ensure that my fabric was even all the way around. (If you are a Sewing Newbie, a seam gauge is a mini metal ruler with a mini lever that moves up and down to help determine how wide the seam is.)

Seam gauge helps find seam allowance.
Pressing Hem down.

Once everything is folded once, fold a second time and pin.  This brings the raw edges in so fraying doesn't happen. Remember strings are a Nuisance!  Make sure to iron the seam down before taking it to the sewing machine. 

Folding Hem again to be pinned.


Finally, sew your little heart out, clip your strings, press with iron, and DONE! 

Sew like a CHAMP!
Iron 'til its AWESOME!
Now on to view some of the items that I worked so hard on these last seven days. 

Floral Hawaiian Origami Kimono Wrap Jacket

Boat Neck Cropped Kimono

Mint Origami Kimono Wrap Jacket


If you enjoy what you see, head on over to my Etsy Shop. I've added eight kimono jackets and tops, plus a bonus, FREE shipping!  I want to thank you for hanging in with me these last seven days. Its been a roller coaster rid with frills in the end.  I'm a serious scaredy cat when it comes to the real deal, but this was at least a descent ride.






No comments:

Post a Comment