Friday, June 5, 2015

Cicadas Are A Girls Best Friend!

It has been awhile since I've drawn in my art journal. It's funny how life can just get away from you. Sometimes it keeps you from doing the things you truly enjoy.  So now I'm trying to get back on the wagon and finish what I've started by continuing to fill up my art journal.

Since spring began, this loud noise has roared through our city like a freight train. The constant hum has become so deafening that people all around have been calling the police.  They truly believe that UFOs have invaded our city! While their imaginations run wild, we need to get to the heart of the noise. The cicada. Lately nature has been calling to me like the hum of the cicada.  I've had several visitors from nature recently, such as a hummingbird at my window, a garden snake in my garage, and the cicada who sat down beside me on the park bench.  While being outside with the kids after school, a cicada sat down right beside me. He flew off after giving me a long silent stare. Makes you wonder what these creatures are thinking about or was he just posing for the camera. Once again nature inspires the artist within.



Cicada Sitting Next to Me on a Park Bench.


I started drawing the Cicada with a pen.  I was really tired of doing black and white, so I decided to add some color with color pencil and Sharpie.  Adding color with color pencil didn't really show up well on the water-colored paper, so I added the same color Sharpie over the color pencil.  I used the silver Sharpie to create the highlights among the wings and body.  I really need to invest in some gel pens.  They would add bright color to any surface.  Oh well,  this will work for now.

When I was finished with the cicada, I felt the background was lacking. I decided to repeat the pattern within the wings.  I like how the repetition created some visual texture.  Once again I layered the Sharpie onto the colored pencil. 



Cicada



Cicada's Wing Detail


Cicada Head Detail.





I am really enjoying drawing from nature.  I do believe this is the first year I have gotten some color on this pale skin before summer has started.  Lots of inspiration can be had when you spend some time out in your surroundings.  I challenge you to do the same. 





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the soft colors and whimsical background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Love it when things come together😉

    ReplyDelete